2015-10-14

Its always good to start at the beginning...

...but they didn't have the internet when I was nine years old.

So we'll have to make do with starting here, where I have just deleted an awful lot of blog posts.

I've binned off everything that was previously here because it just wasn't relevant. Not relevant to me, my interests or where I want to be. There was some decent stuff in there, and there was a lot of filler trying to bulk out a brand that never existed.

I never upkept the blog as much as I wanted to, it became a chore because it was all about gaining page views, it became soulless and senseless. But now, we have a product that I am proud of and thrilled to contribute to. The Podcast is something I have always wanted to do since first listening to Boosted Damage one Saturday morning on overtime, and its not always perfect, it's not always hilarious, but it is a labour of love by brothers. My contribution often feels small and cheap, I don't do anything technical or difficult, I add very little insightful or important.

I just dangle my soul out for all to see, and I care very much indeed.

A blogger I read and follow on Twitter, Doc Bungle, has had some chew regarding one of his articles and he has handled it in an entirely mature and appropriate way. But it bugs the fuck out of me. He has created something from a place of love and he shouldn't be made to feel demotivated to continue by anyone else. I am proud of WCWW, but more over I am proud to be a part of a community of creators and contributors, people who take it on themselves to do something to entertain or inform or advise. Christ knows we're not getting paid, and I don't imagine Doc is making bank off his contribution either.

Every time one of us puts something up online, be it a blog post or a batrep, a race report or a painting wip, or a fucking diet update we lay ourselves open to critique and comment and I have no problem with that, but we are not Marks & Spencer selling you a cardigan with a missing button, we're not a disinterested KFC worker shoving chicken into buckets hoping you choke to death on a fucking hotwing, We're at a place of love, dangling our souls out for your entertainment and edification. Our customer services department has no vested interest in rectifying your complaint and you ain't getting a gift voucher for your inconvenience. You don't need to blow smoke up anyones arse, just be cool.

Anyway, all that aside, I am resolved to blog with far more regularity. Fuck page views, fuck content. Just stuff.

Just back from Breast Cancer Brawl 2015. I won best painted pink army, which I was thrilled with and picked up some really nice brushes as a prize, donated by Broken Toad. I did well in the raffle as well, winning a box of Bog Trog ambushers which will fit nicely into a variety of projects for both me and O, and a half dozen WACC dice which are are a little massive to carry around, but will be fun to use in the dojo.

Am all fired up to get some more WM/H in now. New faction to learn for Smogcon in February, lots to do, just need to get games in,                  

Fishermen won best painted team at the Guild cup, which again I was dead chuffed with.  dragged loads of loot away from that event, but more importantly met loads of awesome folks there. Not sure I can make the next Guildball event at the NWGC, but I am sure it'll be an excellent one. Anyway, they're in the cabinet too fir a while, and the Brewers are in the bag for a spell.

We had our first holiday in a very long time, A catalogue of disasters that led to a very lovely time with my very lovely wife, And despite eating nothing but fish and chips and drinking lots of cider and gin, I still lost 4lb that week, taking me to 2st 3lb lighter in about 6 weeks, Still a ways to go to get to where I want to be, but I'm chuffed to bits so far.

9 days off the bike has been hard to recover from, my legs are slow and stiff and heavy, but hopefully I'll be back up to speed really soon. Thinking another stone or so off and I'll be able to get out running a bit as well. Certainly the hope is to be able to run a decent distance by February, so I can jog off the worst excesses of Smogcon,

And I had my first experiences of Malifaux 2nd edition and Dystopian Wars, but those are probably posts for another time.

Stay cool. X


No comments:

Post a Comment